WHAT IS “PALA”?
PALA stands for the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award, anactivity challenge of the President’s Challenge program. The President’sChallenge is a program of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports andNutrition (PCFSN). PALA is designed to motivate participants to be physicallyactive on a regular basis by allowing them to participate in activities theyenjoy. Earning a PALA is definitely doable by ANYONE at ANY fitness level.
How does the SCOUTStrong PALA challenge work?
- To earn the SCOUTStrong PALA Challenge award, a participant is required to meet a daily activity goal of 30 minutes a day for adults and 60 minutes a day for kids under 18 for at least five days a week, for a total of six weeks.
- Participants can take up to eight weeks to complete the program. The participant picks their activities as they strive to reach their goal, logging their physical activity along the way.
- Over 100 indoor and outdoor activities count toward the daily requirement, including walking, running, canoeing, gardening, and aerobics as long as major muscle groups are engaged at a moderate to vigorous activity level.
Starting the SCOUTStrong PALA Challenge will helpparticipants:
1. Commit to daily physical activity—and stick with it.
2. Set realistic goals to encourage fitness for alifetime
How to get started with the SCOUTStrong PALA challenge?
Participants can enroll and track their progress either onlinewith a free Online Activity Tracker or on a paper Active Lifestyle Activity Log.
Participant begins by visiting; www.scouting.org/SCOUTStrongPALA
- Participant uses the appropriate drop down menu to pick the state that the council/organization they want to be affiliated with is located in.
- Participant use the appropriate drop down menu to pick the council/organization with which they want to be affiliated with.
- Participant clicks [START THE SCOUTStrong PALA CHALLENGE].
- The participant should be at the PALA page of their affiliated council/organization. They should click [CREATE AN ACCOUNT].
- The participant should complete the required fields and click [REGISTER].
- They'll arrive on their activity tracker home page, which they will see each time they log into their account.
- From this screen they can track their activities, join a group, see their award progress, and adjust their account preferences.
- Search for Troop 86's PALA group which is number Group Number 948079 and the group name is OLATHETROOP86. Join that group for your PALA challenge so you can earn your PALA Patch.
- Upon completion of the six-week program, the participant will receive a congratulatory email from the President's Challenge. Participants should print and submit this email to their Scout leader.
- Participants will need to have an Active Lifestyle Activity Log; <see PDF file below to download PALA Log> or go to www.presidentschallenge.org/tools-resources/docs/PALA_log.pdf
- Participants should track their daily activity using the Active Lifestyle Activity Log.
- Upon completion of the six-week program, participants should self-certify the results at the bottom of the Active Lifestyle Activity Log and submit it to their Scout leader.